Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Public pledge of self-regulation for careful altering of world news and memories.

Is freedom a word we only associate with people who aren't in a visually perceivable cage or under the dominance of a homicidal tyrant?

Dear Goverment of China,

You piss me off. This declaration might potentially get me in a lot of trouble, especially with my friends, but I have reached the point where I must say something about the long-standing madness you call governance else my head will explode. I agree you run a populous country and that calls for decisions that might not please everyone. I will even overlook the fact that you are currently claiming stake on territory that is rightfully ours, but such behavior on your part is neither new nor unexpected. However, you not allowing the freedom of press is something that infuriates me as much as Tibet(s) infuriate you. You alter your geography textbooks, tweak the news and propagate/justify the idea of imprisoning 70 year olds for having an opinion. You are well on your way to becoming a superpower, but you will never be on par with US of A. With your closed minds and open thwarting of free press, you will never be as benevolent as America has been to the people of the world. You will never be able to welcome with open arms other cultures like they have. I know you think it is not necessary, but no country makes progress without allying with other cultures. You must learn to admit your flaws and fix them.
Fear is a formidable weapon to wield but it will always be weaker than patriotism. Learn China, learn. For you can go much further than where you currently aim to be.

Love
Deepu

P.S. This might be funny for some.

16 comments:

Eugene said...

Hello, Miss D. A very interesting commentary. And the "memorize" vs. "commemorate" mistake is something I'm not surprised to see...hehe.

And let's make it official...happy really belated birthday. Please don't hate me.

Sandeep said...

I can't agree more.

bhavini said...

Thanks for your post. China really makes pressure cookers of people's heads sometimes. Although one thing I didn't quite follow: How has America been benevolent to the world?

Kannabiran Nandakumar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kannabiran Nandakumar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mirrorcracked said...

I represent the Chinese government. I hate myself. I'm a sore loser! Due to the mongoloid features of my brain and my nose in particular, I don't get enough oxygen and that's why I act stupid.:D :D

PS: I'm back! :D

Deepu Vasudevan said...

@Genie
Thanks for the wishes. In a way, I am happy you aren't Chinese chinese but are American Chinese. :D

@Bhavini
I understand how that might seem a legitimate question in the light of some unwise political and economic decisions USA has made recently. In my context, the USA is almost the only country that treats international students on par with theirs. Complete with admission opportunities. THere are twelve students in my class spread over about eight nationalities. I've visited Europe and I can tell you confidently they aren't very happy about "foreigners" there. If you want to use India as a reference, we have restrictions for college admissions from state to state much less internationally. Looking at it from an economic standpoint, outsourcing has provided employment for so many of this generation. Some might have reservations about how it pulls kids out of colleges and encourages them to take on jobs early but I think outsourcing has definitely done more good than bad. People from so many other nationalities immigrate to USA, find jobs and raise families - something not many European nations can boast about. America recognizes and rewards achievers. Not only their own citizens, but also from India. Narayan Murthy, Kiran Mazumdar etc were all honored with some post/title or the other. I don't see any other country doing that.
And that, Bhavini, is why I feel America is benevolent to the world.

Deepu Vasudevan said...

@Nik

Welcome back maga.
But I don't think physiological reasons have anything to do with the way Chinese act. The Taiwanese seem sensible, as do the Japs.

@Kannabiran
Thank you for stopping by, I will definitely catch up with your blog sometime.

vats said...

True that and I'm sure a lot of the folks in China would agree to it too(in anonymity!!). :)You are right in US being the most benevolent to immigrants/students,a little extreme sometimes,as compared to a rather xenophobic(from what I've heard and read)Europe. But if we talk foreign policy,the US has been severely myopic at best.. and benevolence is at best an unintentional byproduct! :( Good post... and that link was genuinely funny in the context!

Shipra said...

I think you're ready for your American passport now:) Maybe even a European one (since you've apparently been to 'all' of Europe now :D Why the sudden venting against China though, me wonders....

Shipra said...

I guess you're ready for your American paasport now:D And maybe a Europian one (since you've apparently visited 'all' of Europe? :)) Why the sudden venting against the Chinese govt though, me wonders....

Deepu Vasudevan said...

@Vats

Thank you for stopping by!

@Shipra
I am very happy with my current nationality, thank you. I've always been critical of Chinese governmental policies, so this isn't recent. And never did I suggest I've visited 'all' of Europe, but only that my opinion of 'all' of Europe is such and such.
:D

lallopallo said...

Heyy..it's been long since I came here. Hope all is well. I missed many posts of yours..will come back later. Ciao

Madhu said...

That's part of Communism. Happy to see few fellow Indians with their eyes open to atrocities by Chinese government. One thing for sure, they are afraid of us. Best medicine to handle this Chinese tumor is power and more power. Be strong and be watchful.

Sangeeta R. Goswami said...

Hii Deepu,
Me and some of my friends have started an e magazine called Reader's Quotient, it is totally for a noble cause of funding education to needy children, I came across your blog in my quest to search talented writers and felt worth to inquire if u shall be interested to come along with us
If yes pls contact us at sangeeta.goswami@readersquotient.com

Waiting for ur revert

Regds/Sangeeta
www.readersquotient.com

Free Calls Hub said...

If you were in China this blog would have been deleted.