Friday, April 11, 2008

Chidananda roopa

I have drifted in and out of classical music quite whimsically in the last few years. I rarely am obsessed with any form of music or song for that matter. There is the occasional number that plays in my head for a while that I get over soon, but nothing more than that.
I happened to listen to this raag called Sohini by Veena Sahasrabuddhe. I was totally smitten by it. Its even better than Norah Jones' Come away with me that I can listen to all day and almost as good as Mora saiyan mose bole na by Fuzon. This finding prompted me to Google for her name (I must stop doing that with every new name that I come across :|. But you'll be surprised by how many new and fantastic things I dig out because of that compulsive habit). And the first link that Google regurgitated was an IITB link with my obsession on it - Nirvana Shatkam.

Veenatai for listeners Station 4808 at KIAC and IACmusic.com

The voice(s), the words, the raag, its a whirlpool draws me more to the center of it every time I hear it. I've worn out the CD in my car and had to write another one within a week. Blame it on the company, or on my music-starved brain or on my failing immunoblots, but this obsession is making Sideshow Bob look like a joke. :)

Color: Maroon(ed)
Song: Nirvana Shatkam :D

2 comments:

B Shyam Sundar said...

Nice song ...
Dont you listen to Carnatic ??? I guess as a tam-brahm you must be exposed to it ...
Also have you tried listening to Bhimsen Joshi ??

Shyam

Deepu Vasudevan said...

@Shyam,

I do listen to a lot of Carnatic. I've listened to a couple of Bhimsen Joshi songs, but not very obsessively. I'm currently hooked to Veena Sahasrabuddhe. So I'm curing myself of that addiction.