Thursday, March 13, 2008

Celibacy celibrated.

Being a twenty-three something girl in my family is a dangerous occupation. Hovering grannies, curious aunts, suggestive uncles, cousins with heheitsyourturnnow-looks, a mother shushed and threatened with the possibility of her child joining the nunnery and a father who you think is on your side but is secretly doing all he can to locate your Mr.Perfect (irony!!!).
My mother has allowed herself to "slip" many a prospective groom profiles into our daily conversations. I hear her out for the free humor factor that comes along with it. At the end of each conversation I find new ways to drive her nuts about this, my favorite one being- Amma, I'll run away from home, I'm far enough to do it also.
This doesn't put her search to rest but makes her resolve to visit me in Yamerigga stronger and her search more careful. I think they have a qualification list that is growing with my everyday tantrums (...fair.. tall.. thenkalai.. must be patient... must bear with threats of running away from home... must like cauliflower enough to eat it everyday...).

I even have a standard explanation why I don't want to get married right now.
"My career is in a stage where I cannot handle these things. I need to FOCUS. Science is all I can think of right now. Another person (that too a man!!!) ( What do you mean that too a man???) in my life would triple the chaos and all that I have worked for will be in a whirlpool of confusion. And what really is the hurry? I am just 23."
There is a tsk..tsk.. and a heavy sigh which is communicated with crystal-clear moroseness (Reliance India Call obeys Murphy's law and is always noisy when I am trying to gather gossip about my undergrad classmates). I then lead the conversation into how pathetic my lab results are right now, how much pressure I am under (Oh come on!) and how I am blessed to have understanding parents who'll wait until I feel the need to be married. Yea yea whatever.
Bye Ma, I love you.
Time to watch Will & Grace.

Color: Lemon yellow
Song: Take it easy...

10 comments:

Anand Prabhu said...

Hmm... sila perku nallathu sonna puriyaatu :P

Deepu Vasudevan said...

Puriyarache puriyattum. Ipodheikki puriya venam.

Vas Vasudevan said...

It's your turn now babes !! he he he...
vas.

Jyotsna said...

ha ha!
a recent expression of disgust at a conversation along similar lines eicited a rather different response, " Aamam .. naaangallam kalyanam pannikadha dhaan neengallam ivlov saadhichakkum !! "

Deepu Vasudevan said...

@Vas

Hehe.. not for a while.

@Jyo

May the force be with you.

Tatu said...

Mom knows best! :D
abandon your research, go marry someone and raise rugrats! hehehe...

Santu said...

"Science is all I can think of right now."


I suggest Chemistry ;-)

Deepu Vasudevan said...

@Nik,

Magane, my rugrats are all in a cage running on the treadmill :D

@Santa,

Even better, I am a biologist :D

Deepak Mohan said...

Smart girl!! If I were you, I wouldnt talk with my parents....stave the topic off..you're all of 23

The Regular Joe said...

:)