Monday, June 18, 2007

Taxi driver in Calcutta!

Living on a farmhouse sounds so cool - and it is to a large extent. Huge fields, amazing sunrises and sunsets, being able to see the sky and stars its NY, sky can be only seen when next to scraper), crickets putting you to sleep, trees yawning out at you in the backyard, barbecues - whoa! Its a long list.
(If you sensed a 'but' at the end of that sentence, you are soooo right).



I have been at Uplands farm for about 3 weeks now. And I still am not tired of the quiet or the comparative desolation of the place. I like walking through the woods and since its bright almost until 9 in the night, with a maize-flavored breeze advertising the goodness of it, I am turning down ride offers from friends (and foes). But when I have to travel for longer distances, I call a taxi and when I do this, I am as excited about it as a kid is about a new bike.


Taxi drivers are about the most interesting people you can talk to. They know their way around and have seen more of the world, not only because they travel around, but because they see more new people in a day than I do in a month. They have seen every emotion there is on this planet, yet are sometimes naive and believe what their passengers tell them. Keeping in mind the universality issue, this is the same feeling I get with the few friendly auto-drivers in Bangalore. I think when you have to drive around town all day, having a grumpy personality is a sure downside. If I think really hard, I bet I can recall the name of every cab driver who has driven me in NY and the conversation I have had with them. I have never met a one 'quiet' driver. Or maybe its me. The most recent one was Greg. He is trying to finish his bachelors in Communications with a minor in American History at SUNY Westbury. He was arguably the most knowledgeable of all the ones I know. Not because of he was in college, but because he put his pending degree in communications to full use. He asked me a zillion questions about India that I am always so ready to answer and told me that he was German (BTW Jyotsy, I am still vouching for German men). He was black. I don't quite have such a problem with that word considering the fact that I am 'black' too. And he told me a something that he thought about the word when he was a child. He had a white German uncle and Greg apparently never understood what the fuss was with the skin color.
"I thought that he was just a really really light skinned black guy. Until I grew up and the differences began to enunciate themselves."
I really liked that line - something I will try to use in a conversation in future. It was a long drive, from Hempstead to Cold Spring Harbor - and arguably one of the most memorable.

COLOR: Peacock blue
SONG: Tere aankhon ke siva

8 comments:

Rajeev said...

Aw that is so cool!
I love farm houses!
I usually go off to visit my grandparents in the village when im bored! I love it there.
btw thanx for the visit!
and about blogrolling its just a link list to the blogs u usually visit or like to read! :)
If u want to create a blogroll go to blogrolling.com and register there! create a blogroll, give it some name and add the links to all ur favorite blog/sites and after ur done click on get code and copy the first code and put it up in ur blog!
that time everytime u add links to ur blogroll in blogrolling.com it will be updated in ur blog. and even u dont lose the links even if u change the template!
I hope u understood that! In case u didnt buzz me on yahoo sometime. ill teach u! my id is in my profile! ")

peace & love
Jeevy

Deepu said...

@Rajeev

Thanks 'Jeevy' ... I will try putting more pics of the place. It is nothing short of spectacular.

Rajeev said...

I see that ur frm Bangalore!
whr in blore ya frm!? mez frm Jayanagar 4th blk! B-)

peace & love
Jeevy

Deepu said...

@ Jeevy

:O - I am from Jayanagar 1st Blk.. but i am currently in NY for "educational purposes". :D

Rajeev said...

Oh Cool!
So wht ya doin!?
MS or MBA!?
my bro is also in Detroit! :)
doin his MS, he is almost done actually!! :)
I would have completed my masters by now, if only i had not failed in my PU and wasted 2 yrs! :D ;P
*sigh*

Deepu said...

I am doing a PhD actually :)
Detroit is not very far from where I am (NY that is)... I am trying to learn HTML so that I can spruce up my page a bit. Lets see how that goes.
What are you upto now?

Rajeev said...

PhD?! whoa!
ah! ur online!?
good! :)
Well Im doin my bachelors now!
Bachelors in computer applications! :)goin to 2nd yr now! :(

Rajeev said...

And if u wanna learn HTML properly then u gotta use the old blogger templates! :)
not the drag & drop oneS! :)